Cottonwood Canyons
Weather DashboardTM
Updated February 25 @ 8:00 am

Road Conditions

Cottonwood Canyons

February 25 @ 8:00 am

At 7:56 am, UPD tweeted, "Feb25 Both Canyons 4x4 or chains required 1:00am "

At 7:53 am, UPD tweeted, "Feb25 Big Cottonwood is open 7:45am-7:45am "

At 7:29 am, UPD tweeted, "Feb25 Big Cottonwood is closed 6:00am-8:00am due to a crash. Estimated Open 8:00am "

View Cottonwood Canyon Tweets

Temperature

Alta
Guard House

February 25 @ 7:00 am

Brighton's Crest

February 25 @ 7:00 am

View Alta
Guard House Data

View Brighton's Crest Data

Wind

Cardiff Peak Wind

February 25 @ 7:00 am

View Cardiff Peak Data

View Great Western Data

48-Hour Snow Depth

Alta's Collins

February 25 @ 7:00 am

Brighton's Crest

February 25 @ 7:00 am

Current depth: 88"
Change in 12 hours: 7"
Change in 24 hours: 7"
Change in 48 hours: 8"

Current depth: 74"
Change in 12 hours: 3"
Change in 24 hours: 2"
Change in 48 hours: 1"

View Alta's Collins Data

View Brighton's Crest Data

30-Day Snow Depth

Alta's Collins

February 25 @ 7:00 am

Brighton's Crest

February 25 @ 7:00 am

Current depth: 88"
Change in 1 week: 10"
Change in 2 weeks: 25"
Change in 4 weeks: 26"
(Some depths questionable.)

Current depth: 74"
Change in 1 week: 5"
Change in 2 weeks: 20"
Change in 4 weeks: 18"
(Many depths questionable.)

View Alta's Collins Data

View Brighton's Crest Data

Radar

February 25 @ 7:50 am

Tap to change zooming

24-Hour Forecast

Cottonwood Canyons

February 25 @ 3:06 am

5:00 am - 5:00 pm5:00 pm - 5:00 am

80% chance of
2 to 4 inches

(0.1" of H2O)

20% chance of
a trace to 1 inch

80% chance of
0 inches to a trace

20% chance of
1 to 3 inches

(0.1" of H2O)

Winter Weather Advisory in effect until 11am today. Snow from a fast moving cold front over the mountains of northern Utah will taper off by late morning. Winds will increase out of the southwest overnight ahead of the next approaching storm system. ... 

View the Cottonwood Forecast

Avalanche Advisory

Salt Lake

February 25 @ 6:13 am

Considerable Hazard

View the Advisory

Summary

Cottonwood Canyons

February 25 @ 8:00 am

Current Conditions

At 7:00 am, the temperature near the top of Brighton's Crest chairlift was 1 degrees. Winds at the top of Brighton's Great Western chairlift are averaging 10 mph out of the northwest with gusts to 23. In the last 12 hours, the snow depth near the top of Brighton's Crest chairlift has increased 3 inches. In the last 3 weeks, the depth has increased 23 inches.

Forecast Conditions

The forecast says that today, from 5:00 am to 5:00 pm, there is an 80 percent chance of 2 to 4 inches of snow and a 20 percent chance of a trace. The daytime high temperature will be 19 degrees. And from 5:00 pm today until 5:00 am tomorrow, there is an 80 percent chance of 0 inches to a trace of snow and a 20 percent chance of 1 to 3 inches. The nighttime low temperature will be 15 degrees.

Avalanche Advisory

The Utah Avalanche Center's bottom-line avalanche advisory for the Salt Lake area on Sunday, February 25, says, "The avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE on all steep, upper elevation slopes, especially those with recent wind drifts, and on many steep mid elevation slopes. Other steep slopes have a MODERATE danger. Complex and dangerous avalanche conditions exist, cautious route finding, careful snow pack evaluation and conservative decision making essential. You will find better and safer skiing and riding conditions on the numerous lower-angled wind sheltered slopes. But be aware of what's above you and avoid travel below steep slopes."

Annual Comparison

Snow Water Equivalence
(Brighton)

February 25

Tap the chart for details

More Info

The Backcountry Guide

The Wasatch Backcountry Skiing Guide provides information on hundreds of backcountry ski locations.

Amazon Alexa

Learn how you can have Alexa, Amazon's talking assistant, read this report to you.

The Backcountry Map

The Wasatch Backcountry Skiing Map is available on your desktop, on your mobile device, and as a waterproof map.

The Inclinometer

Check out Steve's Badass Avalanche Inclinometer.

Your Wasatch Backcountry, Alta, Brighton, Snowbird and Solitude weather report.